Tuesday, 10 February 2009 11:42
People with disabilities are respected, valued and empowered to reach their full potential both as individuals and as contributing members of society.
Our Mission PWD ACT represents. promotes and supports the collective interests of people with disabilities. We work to bring about an inclusive society by:
- Advocating tor the removal of all attitudinal, physical and social barriers which prevent people with disabilities from participating fully in community life;
- Working to improve policies. programs and practices in our society which support people with disabilities to have the best life possible; and
- Collaborating with other ACT disability advocacy organisations to improve outcomes for people with disabilities.
Our guiding frameworks are:
- We undertake our work proactively and with passion, vigour and focus;
- We are positive and provide practical options as part our policy advice;
- We empower people with disabilities by promoting the highest standards of inclusiveness in our own organisation and in the community; and
- We develop trust and cooperate with our colleagues in the disability sector to maximise the impact of our collective voice.
- The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (2007)
- The ACT Disability Services Act 1991
- The ACT Discrimination Act 1991
- The Disability Discrimination Act 1992
- The National Disability Services Standards. as adapted in the ACT
- The ACT Disability Vision and Values
Our advocacy work includes:
- Regular consultation with our members to identify current issues and priorities;
- Projects which
- Address identified priorities;
- Strengthen the capacity of people with disabilities for self advocacy on the issues that affect them;
- Improve the access of people with disabilities to public places, education, training, employment, transport and to all forms of information tor people with disabilities
- Policy submissions;
- Representation and lobbying to all levels of government;
- Participation in forums and promotional events;
- Public speaking on disability issues; and
Media releases and publications.
Our work with other ACT disability advocacy organisations includes:
- Regular meetings to share information, discuss common issues, and promote collaborative action on key issues facing people with disabilities;
- Responding to draft government policies and papers in collaboration with them;
- Contributing to boards and committees; and
Providing feedback, practical suggestions and input on request to other organisations
Within the framework of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (2007) the objects of PWD ACT are:
- To promote the highest standards of inclusion by raising awareness about and advocating for the removal of all barriers which prevent people with disabilities from participating fully in society;
- To provide an avenue for people with disabilities to express their views to government and to the broader community about collective concerns;
- To provide input to government policies, programs and procedures on behalf of people with disabilities;
- To initiate policy and projects which improve the lives of people with disabilities; and
- To collaborate with other disability organisations to achieve better outcomes for all people with disabilities.